Strange random crashes on Athlon/Linux platform

Kelly Higgins higgins at otto.harvard.edu
Sun Apr 29 10:37:09 BST 2001

Hello Dave,

I had similar problems running Molpro on my Pentium II/Linux platform, and
I was able to trace them to the IDE drive access mode I was using.  If I
set the system to use DMA mode (any speed) I would get errors in the SCF
or CCSD(T) iterations.  If I disabled DMA mode (using hdparm) everything
would run fine but system responsiveness would suffer greatly.  I don't
know if this is a hardware problem or a bug in Linux's DMA code, but if
you are running IDE drives you might just want to play around with the
access mode.

Good luck, and take care.

Kelly