[molpro-user] domains in local calculations

Ben Shepler bcshepl at emory.edu
Thu Jun 25 22:26:13 BST 2009

Dear Molpro Users,
I have been running local MP2 and CCSD(T) calculations on water
clusters with various correlation consistent basis sets (aug-cc-pVnZ
and cc-pVnZ with n=2,3,4).  I have been seeing what seems to be an
unusual result in the selection of the orbital domains.

The orbital domains I would naively expect to get are as follows:
for each water molecule 2 domains consisting of only basis functions
from the O atom (lone pairs) and 2 domains each consisting of basis
functions from the O atom and one of the Hs (OH bonds).  For almost
all choices of basis set and using the same default value of
THRBP=0.98 this is in fact what I am getting.  For example, here are
the domains I get for the water trimer using the avqz basis and
THRBP=0.98:

  Orbital domains

    Orb.   Atom     Charge      Crit.
    4.1    3 O7      1.12       0.000
           8 H8      0.60       1.000
    5.1    3 O7      1.10       0.000
           9 H9      0.56       0.999
    6.1    3 O7      1.34       0.997
    7.1    3 O7      1.26       0.999
    8.1    2 O4      1.26       0.999
    9.1    2 O4      1.34       0.997
   10.1    2 O4      1.12       0.000
           6 H5      0.59       1.000
   11.1    2 O4      1.10       0.000
           7 H6      0.55       0.999
   12.1    1 O1      1.10       0.000
           5 H3      0.56       0.999
   13.1    1 O1      1.34       0.997
   14.1    1 O1      1.26       0.999
   15.1    1 O1      1.12       0.000
           4 H2      0.60       1.000

I get the same domains for the vdz, vtz, vqz, avdz, and avqz basis
sets.  The lone exception is the avtz basis where for the water
trimer I get the domains:

  Orbital domains

    Orb.   Atom     Charge      Crit.
    4.1    3 O7      1.26       0.000
           8 H8      0.53       1.000
    5.1    3 O7      1.54       0.998
    6.1    3 O7      1.28       0.989
    7.1    3 O7      1.30       0.999
    8.1    2 O4      1.30       0.999
    9.1    2 O4      1.53       0.997
   10.1    2 O4      1.26       0.000
           6 H5      0.53       1.000
   11.1    2 O4      1.28       0.988
   12.1    1 O1      1.28       0.989
   13.1    1 O1      1.53       0.998
   14.1    1 O1      1.30       0.999
   15.1    1 O1      1.26       0.000
           4 H2      0.53       1.000

Further, if the avtz basis is used on the O atom and only vtz is used
for the hydrogens I get the "expected" domains.  I can also get the
"expected" domains with avtz by increasing THRBP to 0.99, or by using
the option pipek,delete=2.

I see the same behavior in the water dimer, trimer, tetramer and
hexamer.

I understand that it is important to increase THRBP as the basis set
is increased, and that diffuse functions can cause problems in the
localization procedure.  Therefore, on its own I am not surprised
that the default options and the avtz basis do not give the
"expected" domains.  It is a little surprising in light of the fact
that the default options and the avqz basis set do.  I was also
surprised to see the same behavior for the several different
clusters.  Furthermore, when using the avtz basis the domains will
change when looking at different configurations of the clusters.
Again, this is perhaps not surprising on its own, but it has not been
the case for any of the other basis sets I have tested.

Is it just a coincidence that the default options are not sufficient
with the avtz basis here, or perhaps a coincidence that they are
sufficient with the avqz basis in this case?  Is this a symptom that
I am making some other mistake, or is it "normal" behavior when using
the local methods?

Any insight anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.

regards,
Ben Shepler