[molpro-user] I/O error / No space left on device

psc pscadmin at avalon.umaryland.edu
Thu Mar 17 15:23:46 GMT 2011

Hello, our computational chemists have problem with dying jobs due to
"no space" on device ,but there is plenty (about 1TB) in the location
where the scratch files are stored and that's where the scratch file/s
are written.

They run in to this problem only when the calculation switches to the
largest basis set.  They said that "everything works up until I reset
the basis to basis = aug-cc-pVTZ "

This is the error they get:
Write error in iow_direct_write; fd=19, l=32768, p=125397372928; write
returns -1
This may indicate a filled disk, or that a disk quota has been
exceeded    (there are no quotas on this system)
forrtl: No space left on device   (but there is about 1TB left in the
scratch space)

This is tail from the output_error.txt file

ERROR WRITING        32768 WORDS AT OFFSET************ TO FILE 4  IMPLEMENTATION=df   FILE HANDLE=  1019  IERR=-77824
  ? Error
  ? I/O error
  ? The problem occurs in writew

.. it's raid10 on four disks with no errors whatsoever

* In /etc/profile we specified only one location for scratch since the
scratch space is in raid10 with fast FS
export TMPDIR=/scratch

Any ideas? Thanks for your help to tackle this problem.

Have a great day,
psc