[molpro-user] ZERO POINT ENERGY

Peterson, Kirk kipeters at wsu.edu
Wed Dec 31 20:52:41 GMT 2014

Dear Martin,

within the usual Born-Oppenheimer approximation, the PES is the solution to the electronic Schrödinger equation which is then used as an effective potential for nuclear motion to solve the nuclear motion S.E, i.e., vibrational eigenvalues. If the BO approximation is valid, the usual PES has a very usual interpretation. Somehow defining a whole PES with vibrational motion included makes no sense to me - how do you define vibrational zero-point corrections when the 1st derivatives are non-zero everywhere (except the minimum) ? The harmonic approximation will also presumably be very bad away from the minimum.  Certain approximations can be made along reaction coordinates, but in general I don’t see either the benefit or theoretical rationale for what you suggest.

just my 2 cents,

-Kirk