[molpro-user] How to read the CSFs in a MRCI calculation?

Gerald Knizia knizia at theochem.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Aug 12 18:15:30 BST 2015

Dear José,
you are right about \ and / indicating spin couplings in the
geneological coupling scheme. Regarding the doubly external
configurations: These are not individual CSFs, but they indicate
internally contracted configurations, in which spin-free excitation
operators are applied to the entire reference function:

  |Phi^ij_ab> = E^{ab}_{ij} |Phi>

with |Phi> being the full MCSCF-type reference function (not individual
CSFs), i and j being occupied orbital labels, and a and b being external
orbitals.

The operator E^{ab}_{ij} denotes explicitly

  E^{ab}_{ij} = \sum_{\sigma \in A,B} \sum_{\tau \in A,B} c^{a \sigma}
c^{b \tau} c_{j \tau} c_{i \sigma}

where \sigma and \tau sum over spin labels.

Best wishes,
Gerald