[molpro-user] Open core hole not working in Molpro 2012.1

Gerald Knizia knizia at theochem.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Dec 11 23:04:42 CET 2015

Dear Henry,
the ordering of orbitals has, for technical reasons, be changed such
that active orbitals *always* follow closed-shell orbitals. This is,
however, only a numbering issue: The higher orbitals can still be higher
in energy. For example, the following two inputs works for me for
computing the Ar p core hole:

-- nr 1: with symmetry:
geometry ={Ar}

basis = 6-311G
{rhf}
{rhf,nitord=1;
   wf,spin=1,charge=1,sym=5;
   rotate,1.5,2.5;
}

-- nr 2: (this also works without symmetry)

nosym;
geometry ={Ar}

basis = 6-311G
{rhf}
{rhf,nitord=1;
   wf,spin=1,charge=1;
   rotate,3.1,9.1;
}

The trick here is that the orbital occupation is frozen at the rotated
input orbitals (nitord=1), without ever re-occupying the orbitals
according to the aufbau principle.

An extended comment on how this (and more complex cases) can be used can
be found in the Molpro manual:
https://www.molpro.net/info/2015.1/doc/manual/node177.html
(under The SCF program/ Advanced use: Core-excited states).

On an unrelated note: the def2-SVP/def2-TZVPP/def2-QZVPP basis sets
(e.g., basis=TZVPP) would do a better job as basis sets for Hartree-Fock
and DFT, and for core hole you probably also want uncontracted basis
sets, and possibly even uncontracted core-correlation basis sets.

Best wishes,
Gerald