Trouble in reinstalling molpro2000.1

Peter Knowles P.J.Knowles at bham.ac.uk
Thu Aug 9 10:54:44 BST 2001

The full deal on this issue is ...

1. You don't in principle need a Fortran 90 compiler for Molpro 2000.1

2. Future versions will definitely require a Fortran 90 compiler

3. The patch dft_grad_sym2, which fixes a bug in the Kohn-Sham
gradient, was prepared for a future version of Molpro, but
retro-fitted to 2000.1, and has some f90 features. Because 2000.1 now
has a limited remaining lifespan, it was not thought worthwhile to get
rid of the f90 constructions.

4. If you don't have a f90 compiler, you can either get rid of the
patch (patch/dft_grad_sym2/revert), or else, if using Intel/linux,
simply download the compiled code from http://www.tc.bham.ac.uk/molpro

5. If you want to plan to compile future versions of Molpro on Intel,
you should be aware that the Portland f90 compiler is fully supported,
but no others are. Initial attempts to use VAST f90 revealed that
there is some work to do to get Molpro to be able to use this, and in
view of the quality and availability of pgf90, we have so far done
nothing.

Peter

--
Prof. Peter J. Knowles