"Too many spin couplings" error message

Ioannis Kerkines jkerkin at cc.uoa.gr
Mon Feb 19 10:04:43 GMT 2001

Dear list,

When I try to perform a rather large MRCI calculation on a diatomic
molecule, I get this error:

--------
1PROGRAM * CI (Multireference internally contracted CI)     Authors: H.-J. Werner, P.J. Knowles, 1987

 Number of optimized states:  1  Roots:   1
 Number of reference states:  1  Roots:   1

 Reference symmetry:               4   Quartet
 Maximum shell in reference space  4
 Maximum shell inside CICON        7

 Maximum number of shells:             7
 Maximum number of spin couplings:  2002

 Reference space:     1857 conf     5008 CSFs
 N elec internal:   119030 conf   698336 CSFs
 N-1 el internal:   113401 conf  1276062 CSFs
 N-2 el internal:    46928 conf   865950 CSFs

 Number of electrons in valence space:                     17
 Maximum number of open shell orbitals in reference space:  9
 Maximum number of open shell orbitals in internal spaces: 15

 TOO MANY SPIN COUPLINGS:  2002 MXSPC=  1001

 ERROR EXIT

-------

Can I just, by intervening in the source code, change the MXSPC constant,
or this will create further problems?

Thanks in advance,

John Kerkines
PhD Student