Reading the exported file

Dave Moore dtmoore at email.unc.edu
Sat Oct 27 17:24:14 BST 2001

Hello,

	There are issues with recreating densities by simply using the
MOLDEN output as-is, because there are precision problems with the
basis coefficients as written by MOLPRO in the MOLDEN input file.
Specifically, all of the coefficients are truncated after the 6th
decimal place, rather than the 6th significant digit.  This causes
artifacts in densities computed using the coefficients, particularly
when calculating difference densities.
	For example, take th HF/6-311++G(3df,3pd) density for a Mg atom,
then rotate the basis functions by 45 degrees and subtract the
resulting density from the original.  The difference density computed
in this manner  should be zero within the precision of the
calculation (specified as 1e-8 using the appropriate MOLPRO
keywords), however the difference density that is computed looks like
a d-orbital with maximum magnitude ~1e-4.  This occurs because the
low precision of the d-orbital coefficients in the valence orbitals
(which have a negligible contribution to the diagonal density) causes
low precision in the s-d cross terms in the density matrix (which are
not negligible).
	This problem would be avoided if the orbital coefficients were
reported to the 6th significant digit, rather than the sixth decimal
place.  It would be very useful for me to have this option when
generating MOLDEN-style output, which I use for my difference density
program.  Or if it is possible to get the coefficients output to 6
sig figs in *any* ASCII output file, that would also be a help.
Thank you,

Dave Moore
Chemistry Dept.