Memory allocation for Molpro

H. -J. Werner werner at theochem.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Feb 18 14:58:26 GMT 2002

Dear Molpro users,

some people have complained that they can allocate only less
memory with molpro2002 than with molpro 2000. This is due
to the increased size of the molpro executable. In
particular, the defaults for the maximum number of valence
orbitals and basis functions are now higher, and
probably larger than needed by most people. You can
reduce this when running configure, but note that the
program must be recompiled entirely when the dimensions
are changed. This might help a little, but not very much.
There appears to be a problem with the linux operating
system, which does not allow to allocate more than
about 1 GB in total (including the program size itself),
even if the machine has more memory. We are trying to
find out how to avoid this problem.

Also, we found that there is a problem with recent linux
kernels (latest tested is 2.4.17). With kernels later than
2.4.9 our machines frequently hang if too much memory is
used, or if 2 jobs with large memory requirements are started
simultaneously.  The same happens with big parallel jobs.
Indicative of this problem is that one can neither kill the
jobs nor reboot the machine. So far, we have not seen this
problem with kernel 2.4.9, and we therefore recommend this
version for the time being.

Joachim Werner

--
Prof. Hans-Joachim Werner