question on reading ASCII orbitals for casscf calculation

Seth Olsen seth at spawn.scs.uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 21 16:59:14 BST 2002

Yes, it runs like a champion.  The key is invoke the mcscf engine with either MCSCF or CASSCF rather than MULTI, which MATROP will interpret as a matrix multiplication command.  I haven't yet tried to convert the orbitals to GAMESS or G98 format, but I'm quite sure it would not be hard (although there may be an issue re: differences between MolPro GAMESS contraction schemes: check the molpro-user archive).  The orbitals from MOLPRO come out in five f15.8 fields/line separated each by commas.  I don't think
the commas are necessary to read them back in (the manual says they're free format, but I haven't really tested things too aggressively).
I'm not sure what version of Molden we have here, but it does work to view the orbitals.  Recently, I've been using Molekel, as the pictures it produces look a little nicer.  Molekel will read the molden-style files that MolPro puts out, though you have to reorder the atoms in the appropriate section of the file in order to make it work.  Basically, you want the atoms ordered in the same way that MolPro lists them in the 'ATOMIC COORDINATES' section of the output.  It's would not be to hard to write a code
to do this for you.  If you use Molekel to view CAS orbitals, be aware that that program lists orbitals by ascending orbital energy, while MolPro lists them by occupation number (the more reasonable way for such a calculation).  Thus, the orbitals in your active space may not be the highest-lying orbitals that Molekel lists, though they will often be so.

Seth