Too Many Active Orbitals?

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Wed Jul 2 17:33:47 BST 2003

I hope this isn't a FAQ, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere.  I am
trying to do a calculation that has succeeded before on 2002.3, but now
fails on 2002.6.  The job stops with:

TOO MANY ACTIVE ORBITALS: 22 THIS VERSION ALLOWS 16

I tracked this to src/mrci/ciinit.f, but I'm not sure on how to increase
this.  Is it one of those options in the configure process, or do I need
to hack a common?  If the hack, is it safe to do?  Or is it a 32-bit
limit (see below)?

I am also puzzled why this job did work on .3 and not .6.  Could this be
due to .6 being on a 32-bit system (dual Xeon with 4 GB of memory) and
the .3 on a 64-bit system (Alpha with 768 MB)?  If so, are there other
parameters I need to watch out for that kill on 32-bit?

Thanks for any help,
Matt Thompson
--
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good