problems compiling molpro2002.6 with ifc and mkl on linux xeon

Nick Wilson N.Wilson at bham.ac.uk
Thu Jul 31 10:41:20 BST 2003

Dear Garold,

When compiling on a xeon you should do
./configure -p4
because the configuration process doesn't recognise the xeon processor.

Also mkl6.0 puts the blas files in a different directory than configure
expects and so it doesn't see them. As a workaround if you do
ln -s /opt/intel/mkl60 /opt/intel/mkl
then configure will give you the right options for linking in the blas:
-L/opt/intel/mkl/lib/32 -lmkl_p4 -Wl,-rpath,/opt/intel/mkl/lib/32
and the lapack:
-L/opt/intel/mkl/lib/32 -lmkl_lapack -Wl,-rpath,/opt/intel/mkl/lib/32
which you can then change from mkl to mkl60 if you want.

The reason you're getting the conflicts is because configure didn't find
lapack so you don't have the lapack preprocessor flag set and molpro is
delivering it's own lapack routines in addition to the one's you linked
in with mkl_lapack.

So you should delete your CONFIG file and after the configure process
you should see the following lines in your CONFIG file:
FTCFLAGS="blas1 blas2 blas3 lapack"
BLASLIB="-L/opt/intel/mkl/lib/32 -lmkl_p4
-Wl,-rpath,/opt/intel/mkl/lib/32  "
LAPACKLIB="-L/opt/intel/mkl/lib/32 -lmkl_lapack
-Wl,-rpath,/opt/intel/mkl/lib/32  "
ARCHNAME="p4"
BLASLIB_p4="-L/opt/intel/mkl/lib/32 -lmkl_p4
-Wl,-rpath,/opt/intel/mkl/lib/32 "
LAPACKLIB_p4="-L/opt/intel/mkl/lib/32 -lmkl_lapack
-Wl,-rpath,/opt/intel/mkl/lib/32 "

Hope it works,
Best wishes,
Nick Wilson