Problem about casscf optimization

Kirk Peterson kipeters at tyr0.chem.wsu.edu
Thu May 1 17:26:52 BST 2003

Generally contracted basis sets are supported with casscf with the
Alaska
gradients.  However in your case you must have some orbitals specified
as "core" instead
of "closed".  Optimizations with unoptimized (core) orbitals must use
Cadpac gradients,
which do not supported general contractions.  If possible, change your
core designations
to closed.  Otherwise, you'll have to run the basis sets segmented
which will
increase your computational cost by quite a bit (just download the
basis sets from
the EMSL basis set form in Gaussian format (which are segmented) and
then
input them into your molpro input).

best regards,

Kirk