MRCI thresholds or contractions

H. -J. Werner werner at theochem.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Nov 3 07:58:30 GMT 2003

The problem is due to the redundancy check in the internally contracted
mrci. Pairs are deleted if either the norm becomes very small (threshold
PNORM, default=1.d-8) or if an eigenvalue of the overlap matrix becomes
very small (threshold THRDLP, default=1.d-7). In the present case, the
norm of one pair becomes small at long distance. Using your input,
this can be avoided using
 acpf;
 thresh,pnorm=0
Still, the number of pairs changes at shorter distances from 24 to 25.
Should this still cause a non-negligible step in the potential, you can
try
 acpf;
 thresh,pnorm=0,thrdlp=1.d-8.
The problem with lowering this threshold is that you might get numerical
problems due to near linear-dependency (not in the present case). Even
though the number of pairs still changes at some distance, the energy step
is of the order of 0.1 microH only.

Another possibility is to fix the pair list using save/start
acpf;
save,5000.2;start,5000.2
thresh,pnorm=0,thrdlp=1.d-8
In this case you would have to determine the pair list (first calculation)
at very long distance and then compute the curve for smaller distances.
This should give a smooth potential (constant pair list), but some accuracy
may be lost at small distances because one pair is missing.
H.-J. Werner

--
Prof. Hans-Joachim Werner
Institute for Theoretical Chemistry