[molpro-user] Orthonormal orbitals and CI

Yann Tambouret yannpaul at bu.edu
Wed Jul 28 18:52:46 BST 2004

Dear Molpro-user group,

I've been trying to do an excited state CI calculation on Xe_2_I ; I've
been using a state averaged MCSCF calculation as the reference.

I've had no success, and I keep getting one of two errors, depending on
how many states I try to converge to/avereage.

Below is a discription of what I know; If anything's unclear, please
feel free to email me at yannpaul at chem.bu.edu.

I could use some help with why these errors are occuring.

Thanks,

Yann Tambouret

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"...
 WARNING: ORBITALS 24.1  10.1 NOT ORTHONORMAL:  -.1837D+00
 WARNING: ORBITALS 24.1  13.1 NOT ORTHONORMAL:  -.1768D+00
 WARNING: ORBITALS 24.1  17.1 NOT ORTHONORMAL:  -.5928D-01
 WARNING: ORBITALS 24.1  19.1 NOT ORTHONORMAL:   .6451D-06

 ERROR: INTERNAL ORBITALS NOT ORTHONORMAL."

This error was printed during a CI run.

and

"...
*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#

                                                  ERROR DETECTED
                                                  **************

     SCHMIDT ORTHOGONALISATION SINGULAR

*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#
     "
This error was printed during a MULTI run.

This is the input file that produced the first error.
The second error was produced when some of the commented-out cards were
included.
The memory alocated is so large because, becuase on some runs the jobs
were killed (by our batch system) for running out of memory (used over 7
Gigs!)

"
***, Ploting Excited state PEC for Xe2I
memory,1000,M

gprint,variable,micro
geometry={
nosym;
Angstrom;
Xe,0,bond/2,0;
Xe,0,-bond/2,0;
I,0,0,dist;

}

basis=lanl2dz;

!Initial configuration:

bond=3.24
dist=2.6

do i=1,17

r(i)=dist

hf
wf,23,1,1;
start,2100.2
orbital,2100.2
maxit,300

multi;
!occ,12;
!closed,3;
wf,23,1,1!;state,9
!start,2100.2
!orbital,2140.2
!maxiter,300
!noextra

multi;
!occ,12;
!closed,3;
wf,23,1,1!;state,9
!start,2100.2
!orbital,2140.2
!maxiter,300

ci
!occ,12;
!closed,3;
!wf,23,1,1;state,9
!start,2140.2
!maxiter,300

e1(i)=energy(1)*toev
e2(i)=energy(2)*toev
e3(i)=energy(3)*toev
e4(i)=energy(4)*toev
e5(i)=energy(5)*toev
e6(i)=energy(6)*toev
e7(i)=energy(7)*toev
e8(i)=energy(8)*toev
e9(i)=energy(9)*toev

dist=dist+.2 Ang

table,r,e1,e2,e3,e4,e5,e6,e7,e8,e9
save,xe2I.lanl2dz.tab,new
enddo
"

Output of the run where the memory was an issue:

Resource usage summary:

    CPU time   :     29.57 sec.
    Max Memory :      7626 MB
    Max Swap   :      7639 MB

    Max Processes  :         4

The output (if any) follows:

Received signal 11 Segmentation violation
XL Fortran (initialization): Out of memory.
Received signal 6 IO trap
XL Fortran (initialization): Out of memory.