[molpro-user] dissociating H2 molecule?

H. -J. Werner werner at theochem.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Jul 8 11:04:06 BST 2005

1.) In order to get the symmetry broken (spin contaminated) solution, you
must (i) do the calculation in lower symmetry (x,y if z is the bond axis),
and (ii) use symmetry broken starting orbitals. The latter can be
obtained by first doing a rhf calculation for the triplet, and then
rotating the two open-shell orbitals by 45 degrees (using ROTATE).
This input does the job:

geometry={x,y;h1;h2,h1,r}
r=4
hf;wf,spin=2
uhf;wf,spin=0;rotate,1.1,2.1,45

2.) The only correlation method in Molpro for UHF references is UMP2,
but this is not a recommended method to use (due to well known
spin-contamination problems).

H.-J. Werner

--
Prof. Hans-Joachim Werner