[molpro-user] attempting to define a jacobi coordinate system: zmat error

Dave Moore dtmoore at rijnh.nl
Mon May 2 11:17:39 BST 2005

Hi Mario,

It is generally a bad idea to have the first 3 atoms of a Z-matrix be
colinear.  You can fix this by adding a second dummy atom to the Z-matrix
like so:

q1
q2 q1 1.0
n  q1  rn  q2 90.0
h  q1  rh  q2 90.0    n 180.0
he q1  rhe n theta(i) h   0.0

This provides a well-determined Z-matrix for all possible values of the
jacobi variables.  Note that the value of the dihedral angle in the last
line doesn't really matter, since the last 3 atoms in that line (q1, n and
h) must always be colinear according to the rest of the zmat specification.

Also note that you may want to explicitly specify the symmetry for this
system, since when theta is 0 or 180, the calculation will use C2v, but for
all other values of theta, it will use Cs.

Hope this helps,

Dave Moore