[molpro-user] convergence of mcscf gradient calculation (fwd)

Dr Seth Olsen s.olsen1 at uq.edu.au
Tue Nov 29 01:06:27 GMT 2005

Hi Rika,

I've seen this sort of behavior from time to time in my calculations as
well.  I've a (not very well developed) feeling that this sort of
pathology might arise frequently in state-averaged CAS calculations.  In
the context of molpro, I have conversations with colleagues and the
part-consensus seems to be that perhaps the initial guess for the
solution of the CP-MCSCF equations in MolPro could be improved.  This
seems to be backed up by the manual, which describes the CP-MCSCF
solution implementation as 'preliminary and not very efficient'.

Oded might consider using an alternative software package to perform
MR-CI calculations with a reduced active space.  Depending on what
states he is investigating, etc. and what the primary CI contributions
to them are, he might have better luck without sacrificing accuracy.  At
present I believe COLUMBUS implements analytic derivatives for MR-CI
wavefunctions, though there may be others.  I believe there is a basis
set limit of about 250 functions for which it has been tested, which
doesn't suit me but may suit Oded.  Other than that, the only fix I can
think of (besides rewriting the CPMCSCF) is easing up on the convergence.

The quality of the CASSCF solution might also change things, in which
case taking some of the steps listed at the end of the manual chapter on
the MCSCF program might be worth a shot.

Cheers,

Seth

ccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccms

Dr Seth Olsen, PhD
Postdoctoral Fellow, Biomolecular Modeling Group
Centre for Computational Molecular Science
Chemistry Building,
The University of Queensland
Qld 4072, Brisbane, Australia

tel (617) 33653732
fax (617) 33654623
email: s.olsen1 at uq.edu.au
Web: www.ccms.uq.edu.au

ccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccmsccms