[molpro-user] Geometry optimization method

Nicholas Marshall nmarshal at hermes.ccqc.uga.edu
Mon Oct 24 17:39:49 BST 2005

Dear Molpro users,

The manual states that geometry optimizations use the Rational Function
method by default. However, several times when running optimizations I
have seen the line

  Quadratic Steepest Descent - Minimum Search

appear in my output. I have not set the "method" keyword at all,
relying on the default. This seems to indicate that the program is
using the Sun and Ruedenberg steepest-descent method (method, qsd)
which would not be an appropriate method for this application. In the
test case I've been looking at, setting method,rf explicitly makes the
steepest-descent line go away. Why is it doing this?

Thanks,

Nicholas Marshall

relevant part of input: (the basis is just so test jobs run rapidly)

  basis=STO-3G

    rhf;printorb,1;maxiter,200;
    ccsd(t);
    optg,maxit=1;