[molpro-user] How to run molpro in parallel?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Mar 17 16:32:27 GMT 2006

Quoting Shenggang Li <shenggangli at gmail.com>:

> Thanks a lot!  That seems to work.  However, I got the following error
> message, when I tried to tune the package (bin/molpro -n 1
> --mpirun-machinefile /home/sli/hostfile tuning.com &):

Did you tried with 2 or more CPUs/nodes in parallel?

> MPP nodes  nproc
> compute-1-1.loca    1
> ga_uses_ma=true, calling ma_init with heap size          10000
> determined by size of -G / nprocs
>
> Primary working directories:    /home/sli/scratch/molpro
> Secondary working directories:  /home/sli/scratch/molpro
>
> blaslib=default
>
> MPP tuning parameters: Latency=  1000 Microseconds,   Broadcast
> speed=   20 MB/sec
> default implementation of scratch files=df
>
> ? Error
> ? Failure to open registry file variable.registry
> ? The problem occurs in open_registry_file
>
> ERROR EXIT
> CURRENT STACK:      MAIN
> ? Error
> ? Variable STATUS not registered
> ? The problem occurs in setvar
>
> ERROR EXIT
> CURRENT STACK:      MAIN
>
> RECURSIVE CALL OF ERROR HANDLER, FILE INFORMATION MAY BE LOST
>
> EMERGENCY STOP
>
> GA ERROR termxy
>
> GA ERROR ^!~V*^@^@^@
> 0:0:termxy:: 0
>
> Does this mean my compiled binaries are bad?  What is the
> variable.registry file and where should it be?  The hostname is
> compute-1-1.local and it was printed out as compute-1-1.loca.  Is the
> hostname too long?

Interesting - counts just 16. This would be a limitation of GA. I'm not sure,
whether it would help to put only the short alias name in the hostfile and
additionally in /etc/hosts. Might give problems, as AFAIK Rocks gives also the
domainname in the hostname command.

-- Reuti