[molpro-user] optimal HDD configuration for Molpro

Marcel Drabbels Marcel.Drabbels at epfl.ch
Mon Apr 30 16:16:54 BST 2007

Hi,

We recently started using Molpro on our Opteron
cluster. The high level MRCI calculations
generate extensive disk I/O, making up most of
the wall clock time. In order to speed up the
system we ideally would upgrade our IDE disks to
SCSI disks. However, due to financial constraints
this is not feasible. In stead we plan to add a
second hard drive to our computational nodes. The
question that I now have is the following:
what  is the optimal HDD configuration for Molpro
in terms of speed. Is it better to use the two
HDD's in a software RAID 0 configuration or use
two HDD as separate scratch directories using the
-d option in Molpro?  In addition I would
appreciate you input on what is the best
(fastest) file system for this type of job. My
guess would be that a non-journaling system like
EXT2 should be faster than a journaling sytem.

Any suggestions on how to make our system fly are welcome.

Best regards, Marcel

Dr. Marcel Drabbels
Laboratoire de Chimie Physique Moléculaire (LCPM)
École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)
Station 6
CH-1015 Lausanne
Switzerland

Tel: +41-21-693 3022/6131