[molpro-user] hessian always calculated numerically for root=2 ump2, rccsd, rccsd(t) geometry opts

H.-J. Werner werner at theochem.uni-stuttgart.de
Sat Feb 17 09:19:54 GMT 2007

By default, the hessian is computed in the first step of transition state
optimizations. Minimum searches do not compute the hessian by default but
use a model hessian instead.

If analytical gradients are available (e.g. uhf/rhf/mcscf) the hessian is computed
by finite differences from gradients. If gradients are not available
(ump2, rccsd, and rccsd(t)) the hessian is computed by finite differences
from energies. This needs many more displacements.

In order to avoid the numerical calculation of the  rccsd(t) hessian,
you might be able to compute the hessian using, e.g., rhf or mcscf, and then
use this in the rccsd(t) optimization. See manual, READHESS option!

Joachim Werner

--
Prof. Hans-Joachim Werner
Institute for Theoretical Chemistry