[molpro-user] CASSCF gradients with RS2

Alex Brown alex.brown at ualberta.ca
Wed Jul 4 23:31:18 BST 2007

Dear All,

     I am trying to use the RS2 gradient program to computed state-
averaged CASSCF gradients using the NOEXC option. In particular, I am
trying to compute the gradient of the first excited state in a state
averaged calculation - note that the states are "relatively" close in
energy. The CASSCF calculation converges but when I call the RS2
module, I get the following error (I attach part of the input file
below):

wrong ci coefficient:        1101  6.787851797470805E-002
   6.807053294665716E-002

ERROR EXIT
CURRENT STACK:      CIPRO  MAIN

So there appears to be some sort of root flipping (maybe ?). It is
unclear to me why this will occur as I thought the RS2,NOEXC would
provide/use the CASSCF results. Any insights into the cause of the
problem or options/suggestions to clear up the problem, would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Here is a snippet from my input file (I can send the whole input file
if needed):

basis=avdz
{hf;wf,34,1,0}
{multi;occ,20;closed,10;maxiter,100;wf,34,1,0;state,4;start,
2100.2;canonical}
{rs2;noexc;maxiter,100,300;wf,34,1,0;state,1,2}
forces

Yes, there are reasons why it is C1 symmetry and I'd be happy to
explain in case anyone really wants to know.

Alex Brown
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemistry
University of Alberta