[molpro-user] How to alter the active space

John Payton john.payton at case.edu
Fri Apr 25 17:03:56 BST 2008

Dear MolPro Users and Authors,

I'm relatively new to Molpro and trying to run some simple CASSCF
calculation on benzene as to teach myself. However, I'm have an issue
with trying to achieve a 6/6 active spaces (ie, pi-system of benzene).
HF/6-31g* places the pi orbitals at HOMO-4, HOM0-1, HOMO, LUMO,
LUMO+1, LUMO+8. Obviously, just setting occ,24;closed,18;wf,42,1,0
will not give me my desired active space. I'm more familiar with using
Gaussian and MolCas, and those programs use an alter card to change
the order of the orbitals. However, Molpro doesn't seem to have this
function. I see in the manual the con card. I have used it
successfully, yet it seems I'm limited only to the configuration I
select. I want a full CI in my desired active space. How can I achieve
this? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
John

John L. Payton
Ph.D. Candidate