[molpro-user] Difference between CLOSED and CORE orbitals is MRCI

Kirk Peterson kipeters at wsu.edu
Fri Feb 29 04:59:40 GMT 2008

Dear Lorenzo,

the electrons in a closed orbital are not excited in any reference
CSF, but they are involved in excitations into the virtual orbitals
and hence they are correlated.  If you think of a single reference
closed-shell CISD calculation, the orbitals outside the core are
obviously constrained to be doubly occupied in the reference but are
correlated since single and double excitations are taken into the
virtual orbitals.

hope that helps,

-Kirk