[molpro-user] Help with SLAPAF Program

Alexander Mitrushchenkov sasha at theochem.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Jan 30 14:27:06 GMT 2008

Dear Angelo,

I checked that constraints for SLAPAF are perfectly working for Molpro version
2006.1, as described in the manual, section 43.3.1. I did not quite
understand what you really want to do, so I attach two examples (with
outputs) for propadiene. In the first one, each of two C=C bonds is
constrained to a fixed value (which is different from initial bond length),
while in the second the C=C bonds are kept equal but relaxed (for initial
geometry they are different). Please let me know if this answers your
question.

Best wishes,

Sasha

> Hello Everyone:
>
> Would you be able to provide me with a sample input file for the SLAPAF
> program which incorporates the PRIMITIVE and CONSTRAINT commands.
>
> I cannot get much of anything to work in this module of Molpro.
>
> I would like to perform a relaxed potential energy surface in which two
> opposite bonds of a molecule are fixed (constrained) but gradually
> stretched in small increments and the remaining degrees of freedom are
> optimized.
>
> I thought this would be an excellent application for the SLAPAF module, but
> it really hasn't turned out that way.
>
> I tried using a Z-matrix approach and then restraining one of the internal
> coordinates, but the Z-matrix isn't optimal when the molecule is stretched
> and the ends begin to rotate.  I want the freedom that the SLAPAF could
> potentially provide.
>
> I really appreciate your guidance and advice.  Thank you.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Angelo

Dr. Alexander Mitrushchenkov, IGR
Université Paris-Est