[molpro-user] only 32 active orbitals with rs2???

John Payton john.payton at case.edu
Thu Jul 31 04:35:42 BST 2008

Dear Molpro User and Authors,

I have questions of twofold. First, I'm working with a system that has
112 total e-'s, 6 active orbitals, and 8 active e-'s. I have tried to
use rs2 to calculate MS-MR-CASPT2 energies, however I receive the
message that version 2006.1 only allows 32 active orbitals and I have
36 active orbitals. Is there some way to get around the constrain? I
have tried to freeze some valance orbitals in multi, but rs2 still
counts 36 active orbitals.

I also have tried rs2c, and for single state it works. But rs2c can't
do multi state, correct?

My second question is dealing with rs2c. As SS-CASPT2 works with rs2c
I'm however unable to state-average. I always receive '? LVECT TOO
SMALL' (see input and output below). What does this message mean, and
how can I correct it?

Thanks in Advance,
John

INPUT:

{multi;
occ,58;
closed,52;
state,5;
wf,112,1,0;
}

{rs2c,shift=0.20,
state,5,1,2,3,4,5;
}

OUTPUT:

1PROGRAM * RS2C (Multireference RS Perturbation Theory)     Authors:
H.-J. Werner (1993), P. Celani (1998)

 Level shift=0.20

 Convergence thresholds:  THRVAR = 1.00D-06  THRDEN = 2.24D-06

 Number of optimized states:  5  Roots:   1   2   3   4   5
 Number of reference states:  5  Roots:   1   2   3   4   5

 Reference symmetry:                   1   Singlet
 Number of electrons:                112
 Maximum number of shells:             5
 Maximum number of spin couplings:    14

 Reference space:       90 conf      105 CSFs
 N elec internal:       90 conf      105 CSFs
 N-1 el internal:      126 conf      210 CSFs
 N-2 el internal:      141 conf      364 CSFs

 Number of electrons in valence space:                     68
 Maximum number of open shell orbitals in reference space:  4
 Maximum number of open shell orbitals in internal spaces:  8

 Number of core orbitals:          22 (  22 )
 Number of closed-shell orbitals:  30 (  30 )
 Number of active  orbitals:        6 (   6 )
 Number of external orbitals:     196 ( 196 )

 Molecular orbitals read from record     2140.2  Type=MCSCF/NATURAL
(state averaged)

 Coulomb and exchange operators available. No transformation done.

 Number of p-space configurations:  18

 Reference wavefunction optimized for reference space (refopt=1)

 State     Reference Energy
   1       -1141.72116701
   2       -1141.59800917
   3       -1141.53380463
   4       -1141.53120704
   5       -1141.47104729
 n=                  3330   lvec=                  2000
 ? Error
 ? LVECT TOO SMALL
 ? The problem occurs in SMH

 GA ERROR fehler on processor   0