[molpro-user] SA-CASSCF for S1 state - getting wrong opt geometry

Artur Nenov Artur.Nenov at cup.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Apr 7 09:26:52 BST 2009

Hi,

I don't think that there is something wrong in your input. The thing with
SA-CASSCF calculations is that you practically use the same MO coefficients
to describe all states, that you average over (in your case S0 and S1). So
that the algorithm searches for the best MO coefficinets, that describe both
S0 and S1 as good as possible. This immediately means that the SA minimum you
find for S1 (and S0 respectively) is not the real minimum. Recall that the
CO2 minimum is linear on the S0 state and you will understand why you get the
wrong angle. It's always better to do noSA if it is possible (unless you
optimize CoIns).

Artur Nenov
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Department Chemie