[molpro-user] Saving orbitals to file and natural orbitals

Seth Olsen s.olsen1 at uq.edu.au
Tue Feb 17 04:28:59 GMT 2009

Hi Steven,

Any method that produces a one-body reduced density matrix can be used
to generate 'natural orbitals'.  That is really what natural orbital
means - they diagonalize a 1-RDM.  Both MCSCF and MRCI could output
these, and a variety of other methods also can.  If one wants to refer
to a given set as the 'true' NO's, then the only clear choice is the set
which diagonalizes the true 1-RDM of the system, contracted from the
full N-body RDM.  It is the latter quantity that is hard to obtain.

As far as your orbital problems are concerned, I would look to the
MATROP facility.  It allows one to print ASCII files with orbital
coefficients, density matrix elements, etc.  I use it in ALL of my
molpro jobs to save orbitals in non-machine-dependent form.

Cheers,

Seth