[molpro-user] CASSCF fails to converge

Hans-Joachim Werner werner at theochem.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Jul 3 08:26:24 BST 2009

Dear Terry,
I think this problem is due to the fact that there are 3 nearly
degenerate
states (the 3 states arising from C(3P)). There might then be
root flipping problems, or the program gets into other convergence
problems
in the CI step. Even though your calculation converged with the current
development version 2008.3, the energy at the initial geometry was
slightly higher than in the calculation with 2008.1 (which did not
converge), and thus it appears
that another state was found (this may be due to slighly different
starting
orbitals). You should use state-averaged casscf for this case!
Best regards
Joachim