[molpro-user] CCSD(T) RHF not converging

Jörg Saßmannshausen jorg.sassmannshausen at strath.ac.uk
Thu Jul 30 10:30:41 BST 2009

Dear Gerald,

> This is an issue of molecule input (wrong units, missing atoms, wrong
> format, wrong number of electrons/occupations etc). A formally "correct"
> geometry won't help you if the bond lengths are off by a factor of two due
> to unit conversion errors.

Thanks for that hint, I think that was actually the problem.
I read in the manual the MolPro accepts xyz coordinates, so I was using the
coordinates generated by the program which did the MP2 calculation as input.
What I did overlook was that it also included the atomic charge (i.e. 6 for
C) in the 2nd column. My wrong.

> If RHF requires 125 iterations for a well-behaved closed-shell molecule,
> then something is wrong. And I'd bet that it's not the RHF program.

Yes, you were right.

I hope the problem is now sorted, it seems to converge after 10 steps.
Meanwhile I have gabedit installed so I can view the output file visually,
which makes it easier to see if the input-geometry got somehow messed up.

Thanks again for your help!

Jörg

Jörg Saßmannshausen
Research Fellow
University of Strathclyde
Department of Pure and Applied Chemistry
295 Cathedral St.
Glasgow
G1 1XL

email: jorg.sassmannshausen at strath.ac.uk