[molpro-user] A question about the dummy atom in SAPT calculation in molpro

Tatiana Korona tania at tiger.chem.uw.edu.pl
Thu Mar 26 19:45:10 GMT 2009

Hi,

In SAPT, as implemented in Molpro by Hesselmann and Jansen your have to
use a so-called dimer-centered basis set, i.e. you use the same basis for
both monomers. This means that when performing monomer calculations you
have to switch off another monomer, but you still need a basis set
centered on that monomer (which is called popularly a "ghost"). This has
nothing to do with BSSE. If you want to use monomer-center basis sets
(i.e. different basis sets for monomers A and B), you need to use the SAPT
program of Szalewicz et al. A numerical experience tells however that pure
MCBS are not good enough and you need to put some functions on another
monomer, especially for exchange and dispersion corrections, see e.g.

@ARTICLE{Williams:95b,
author="H. L. Williams and E. M. Mas and K. Szalewicz and B. Jeziorski",
journal=jcp,
volume=103,
pages=7374,
year=1995,
title="On the effectiveness of monomer-, dimer-, and bond-centered basis
functions in the calculations
of the intermolecular interaction energy"
}

If you use molpro2008.1 and want to check how the MC+BS approach works for
e.g. the electrostatic energy, you can look at testjobs/mcbs_inte.test.

Best wishes,

Tatiana