[molpro-user] CI convergence

S. Horvath shorvath at chemistry.ohio-state.edu
Fri May 8 14:10:25 BST 2009

Hello all,

I am extremely new to Molpro, and as such I am trying to run a
MR-SO-CISD calculation for the six lowest electronic states of the
molecule IBr- using ECPs. I am having convergence issues with the
Multi-reference internally contracted CI program (prior to any
spin-orbit stuff), even though the error message sounds like it pertains
to the MCSCF program not being converged. Moreover, I can truncate the
calculation to only run the MCSCF, and the calculation finishes, which
leads me to believe that the problem lies with the MRCI program.

Error:
 ?Error: MCSCF not converged. This error exit can be avoided using the
IGNORE_ERROR option on the ORBITAL directive

The error message then the "ignore-error option," but I don't really
know how this would affect the results of my calculation if I ignore the
fact that the MRCI/MCSCF is not converged.

I've looked through the manual and have not found anything helpful. I've
tried the "maxiter" keyword, but to no avail. I also read that the
convergence issues arise because the active space is not chosen
properly; however, I can run the same calculation at the equilibrium
distance (~ 3.12ang) instead of at 12ang (which is what I want...), and
the calculation runs to completion. It sounds like the larger
internuclear distance is adding an extra lay of difficulty to the
calculation, but I'm not sure how or why.

On a related note, does anyone know why for the calculation at the
equilibrium, the SO energies of my 6 states are listed twice? Is this a
major problem, or just a silly bug when writing the energies to the
output file? Just curious.

Below is my input file for 12.0 ang. Any advice that you can provide
would be most appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Samantha Horvath

=============================
***,ibr-
memory,500,M !4 GB memory
gprint,basis,orbital,civector
gthresh,orbital=1.d-6,civec=1.d-6
molecule='IBr-'

geometry={I;
          Br,I,R}
R=12.00 Ang

basis={
ecp,i,ECP46MDF;
sp,i,ECP46MDF;c;
s,i,0.030;
p,i,0.023;
d,i,0.3550,0.1851,0.1025;
f,i,0.4330,0.2026;

ecp,br,ECP28MDF;
sp,br,ECP28MDF;c;
s,br,0.041;
p,br,0.030;
d,br,0.7062,0.2639,0.1047;
f,br,0.5515,0.2580;
}

cpp,init,2;
I,2,1.028,,,1.247;
Br,2,0.266,,,2.259;

{hf;wf,15,1,1;orbital,2100.2}      !SCF to obtain sample wf. Used
ground-state config.

{mcscf;maxiter,50;failsafe;
occ,5,4,4,0;
closed,2,0,0,0;
wf,15,1,1; state,2; weight,0.1,0.1;
wf,15,2,1; state,2; weight,0.1,0.5;
wf,15,3,1; state,2; weight,0.1,0.1;}

{ci;maxiter,50;occ,5,4,4,0; closed,2,0,0,0; wf,15,1,1; state,2;
weight,0.1,0.1; noexc; save,3010.1}
{ci;maxiter,50;occ,5,4,4,0; closed,2,0,0,0; wf,15,2,1; state,2;
weight,0.1,0.5; noexc; save,3030.1}
{ci;maxiter,50;occ,5,4,4,0; closed,2,0,0,0; wf,15,3,1; state,2;
weight,0.1,0.1; noexc; save,3050.1}

{ci;maxiter,50;occ,5,4,4,0; closed,2,0,0,0; wf,15,1,1; state,2;
weight,0.1,0.1; save,4010.1}
{ci;maxiter,50;occ,5,4,4,0; closed,2,0,0,0; wf,15,2,1; state,2;
weight,0.1,0.5; save,4030.1}
{ci;maxiter,50;occ,5,4,4,0; closed,2,0,0,0; wf,15,3,1; state,2;
weight,0.1,0.1; save,4050.1}

lsint      !call spin-orbit code

!so calc w/ mcscf
{ci;maxiter,50;hlsmat,ecp,3010.1,3030.1,3050.1} !rerun CASSCF with SO info

!SO calc w/ mrci
{ci;maxiter,50;hlsmat,ecp,4010.1,4030.1,4050.1} !rerun CI with SO info

--
Samantha Horvath
McCoy Research Group