[molpro-user] open-shell systems with MOLPRO

Lubomir Rulisek lubos at uochb.cas.cz
Tue Nov 3 15:49:03 GMT 2009

Dear Molpro users.

I encountered following problem running MOLPRO for seemingly simple
open-shell systems.

My idea was to run few benchmark calculations for transition metal
containing complexes.
One of the simplest is the linear [(CH3S-)Cu(H2O)]1+, i.e. with copper
(II) ion. As it is the doublet
state, I had intention to run UCCSD(T) on top of UHF reference. I found
out it is
not possible with MOLPRO. As the next option, I tried UCCSD(T)/ROHF
approach.
ROHF is (in my hands) much more difficult, if not impossible, to
converge (while UHF is usually much
easier,  actually in 15 years I am involved in "quantum bioinorganic
chemistry", I never ran ROHF or
ROKS calcs). Then I thought for a moment to run UHF first, use the
orbitals as the starting
guess for ROHF and run UCCSD(T) afterwards. This seemed to work out
pretty well until the
moment when I compared two calcs where I got both ROHF/UHF and ROHF
("from scratch")
convergence. These two results differed significantly (30 kcal.mol-1 or
so). I am a bit puzzled
what to think about it. I attach both (~5 minute) inputs to this e-mail.
The first
is running  ROHF/UHF few times to and back and the second is running it
in reverse order.
It is possible, since I am not that experienced with MOLPRO that I might
do something wrong...

I would be most grateful for any comment.

Best regards,
Lubomir Rulisek.