[molpro-user] open-shell, orbital-invariant mp2

Gerald Knizia knizia at theochem.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Sep 4 10:20:45 BST 2009

On Friday 04 September 2009 00:08, Benj FitzPatrick wrote:
> I couldn't find any mention in the manual if rmp2 calls the same method
> that is used during an rccsd/uccsd calculation with an rohf reference.  In
> the ccsd calculations I see several iterations printed, but when I call
> rmp2 all by itself I do not, and this difference led me to wonder if they
> are the same.

There are actually four different conventional rmp2 programs (don't ask), in
principle all can calculate equivalent rmp2 values, so different energies are
not supposed to be produced unless either density fitting or an additional
spin projection is employed.

Iirc, the programs are all orbital invariant in the sense of returning the
same numbers regardless of what equivalent orbital set is input. In the
non-iterative methods this is accomplished by calculating their own
semi-canonical orbitals from the input orbitals.

Some of the programs set different output variables than others, and there are
some additional caveeats:
  - the rmp2 run automatically by uccsd is really rmp2, but the rmp2 run by
rccsd is not really rmp2 (despite claiming so). It employs an additional
spin-projection on the amplitudes and thus gets slightly different results
than rmp2 would.
  - the mp2 run by mp2-f12 or ccsd-f12 methods is density fitted if a fixed
amplitude ansatz is employed, but not if that is not the case.
  - {rmp2,maxit=100} calls something similar, but not quite the same, as the
rmp2 called from uccsd. It should produce the same numbers as "rmp2" and the
rmp2 from uccsd.
--
Gerald Knizia