[molpro-user] Calculating molecular oxygen excited state

Lorenzo Lodi l.lodi at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Sep 28 19:52:44 BST 2009

Jacky LIEVIN wrote:
> Dear Lorenzo,
>
> Please find below a modified version of your input. The results are
> looking fine:

[cut]

Thanks a lot Jacky, it did the trick and it's now working fine!
I spent some time studying your sample input (I'm new to state-averaged
calculations) and there a few things I'm not too sure of.
For the excited-state state-averaged CASSCF your input reads:
{MCSCF;
   WF, NELEC=16, SYMMETRY=1, SPIN=0;state,2;lquant,2,0
   WF, NELEC=16, SYMMETRY=1, SPIN=0;state,1;lquant,2}

The second line specifies the two lowest-states with "1" (=Ag) symmetry,
namely the <sigma g+> and <delta g xx-yy>.
If the third line is to specify the degenerate <delta g xy> state with
symmetry "4" (=B1g), shouldn't we specify SYMMETRY=4 ?

Also, I have a slightly different question. Is it advisable/necessary to
in the excited-state RHF step to have it to converge to the desired
excited state too? Couldn't we use the ground state as RHF reference for
the subsequent steps?

Thanks again,

Lorenzo