[molpro-user] {SPAM}? open shell SCF discrepancy with GAUSSIAN09

Kirk Peterson kipeters at wsu.edu
Thu Jan 21 17:42:20 GMT 2010

Jason,

the problem seems to be that there are two states of doublet-A' symmetry quite
close in energy (about 3.6 kcal/mol apart at the CASSCF level of theory with
your basis set and ecp combination).  Unfortunately Molpro's RHF program converges
to the upper one.  Note that the dipole moments from Molpro are also quite different
from the state that Gaussian locks in on.  I was able to get the correct RHF energy by
using multi instead of rhf:

{multi;occ,15,4;closed,14,4;wf,37,1,1}

But perhaps you might want to consider the upper state as well.

regards,

Kirk