[molpro-user] Excessive gradient in CI error

Hans-Joachim Werner werner at theochem.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Jan 21 18:34:11 GMT 2010

Most likely this error is due to "root flipping", i.e. the state or
even state symmetry changes during the optimization. Possible remedies
are:

(i) Try a larger p-space threshold, e.g. pspace,1 (default is 0.4).
This will
include more CSFs or determinants into the P-space Hamiltonian which is
explicitly constructed and diagonalized.

(ii) If this does not help include more states in the state-averaged
mcscf
calculation. Such problems most likely occur near avoided crossings or
conical intersections or in other near degeneracy situations.

(iii) Check if your active space is appropriate and that you get a
smooth
variation of all orbitals along the PES you are computing.

Best regards
Joachim Werner