[molpro-user] Linear dependent basis

Glen Jenness grj3 at pitt.edu
Mon Jul 12 20:11:36 BST 2010

John,
I've encountered this issue before, and have done one of the 3 options below.

1)  The simplest way around this is to simply set gthresh,THROVL=1.d-9
in your input file.  However, this can lead to either slow or
non-convergent behavior, so be warned!

The next two I'm not to sure about for extrapolating to the CBS limit, but
are things you can do:

2)  Modify which atoms have your diffuse functions (i.e. your augmented
functions).

3)  Modify the diffuse function exponents themselves.  In my opinion, this
is by far the more riskier methods, but it will allow you to have your
full AVQZ basis set and should in principal allow for your extrapolation
(I make no guarantees however!).   Sometimes, multiplying these exponents
by 1.1 or 1.3 might get rid of your linear dependency, but if you go to
high you might as well not have diffuse functions.

Hope this helps!
Glen