[molpro-user] CBS extrapolations

Grant Hill jghill at wsu.edu
Wed Sep 22 15:26:11 BST 2010

Firstly, I'd like to prefix this with a statement that CBS extrapolations and the right way to perform them is something of a contentious issue.

Second, I've never used Molpro's default procedure, I much prefer to extract the individual energies and work on them in a spreadsheet (where I have several macros for different procedures). This is not to discourage you from using the built-in one.

Third, I've not inspected the paper you referred to carefully.

1. Unless the basis sets are large I would usually extrapolate the HF energy too. One of the more common ways of doing this it to extrapolate the HF energy with one formula and then use a second formula for the correlation energy. However, there's evidence in the literature that simply extrapolating the total energy with an l_max^-3 based formula will give a result of comparable quality. The best advice I can give here is to read a few of the papers and decide for yourself. J. Chem. Phys. 126, 244105 (2007) is a good place to start.

2. In my experience, DZ calculations are not particularly good and I would personally stick to CBS(3,4). But, I'm sure there are some formulas/cases where a three-point extrapolation is better.

If I was comparing with DFT relative energies, I would probably extrapolate the SCF and correlation energy components separately with two-points. The "spread" from different extrapolation formulas is probably smaller than your target accuracy.

HTH,

Grant