[molpro-user] weird issue with MOLPRO 2010.1 binaries

Tanja van Mourik tanja.vanmourik at st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon Sep 27 21:12:00 BST 2010

Hi Jan and Manhui,

> > I agree it's strange that it works interactively but not through PBS.
> >  Perhaps to put this rsh vs. ssh stuff to rest you could try the following:
> >
> > 1)  put the following in your .cshrc file so that it is set on all your
> > nodes:   setenv RSHCOMMAND /usr/bin/ssh
> >
> > 2)  if that doesn't help, just make a soft link (on all nodes) that
> > points /usr/bin/rsh to /usr/bin/ssh
> >
> > Manhui:  why is rsh the default and not ssh for the parallel binaries?
> >  No one uses rsh any more.....
> The current parallel molpro binaries are still built using GA with
> TCGMSG, which is very portable, and the default connection in TCGMSG is
> rsh. We are considering using GA with TCGMSG-MPI in future versions.
>
> After discussion with Jan, he has found the problem lies in that the HPC
> cluster has two kinds of networks, and is looking for a solution.

Has a solution been found for this problem? I encounter something very similar
with SGE. We compiled molpro2009 and now installed the binary of molpro2010,
but both versions give the following error message when trying to run via SGE:

forrtl: severe (64): input conversion error, unit -5, file Internal Formatted
Read

It works when running interactively on the same node with the same command as
used in the job. Setting "setenv RSHCOMMAND /usr/bin/ssh" and "setenv TCGRSH
/usr/bin/ssh" in .cshrc or in the job script does not make a difference. This
should anyway not be the problem, as I can rsh between nodes.

Best wishes,

Tanja
   Tanja van Mourik
   Senior Lecturer in Chemistry
   School of Chemistry, University of St. Andrews
   North Haugh, St. Andrews, Fife KY16 9ST, Scotland (UK)

   email: tanja.vanmourik at st-andrews.ac.uk
   web:   http://chemistry.st-and.ac.uk/staffmember.php?id=tvm

   The University of St Andrews is a charity registered
   in Scotland: No SC013532