[molpro-user] caspt3 excited states

Toru Shiozaki shiozaki at theochem.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Jan 20 01:04:41 GMT 2011

Dear Benjamin,
In Molpro, the internal part of the wave function is obtained by the Davidson-like CI,
and if the initial guess vectors have no overlap with the target vector, it will fail
to converge to the desirable root (the use of the lower symmetry might be
related in your case).

I think that the easiest solution to the problem at hand is to use
{rs3;state,1,5;options,nstati=6}
which increases the number of roots to be obtained in the internal CI process.

It might also help if you play with the "pspace" keyword (see the reference sec.20.3.9).
The Hamiltonian matrix in pspace configurations is diagonalized
before the first iteration to prepare the initial guess for the internal vectors.
{rs3;state,1,5;pspace,1.0}  ! Not sure it works... if you don't like the first solution.

Best wishes,
Toru