[molpro-user] ARMCI test errors after compiling with GA/MPICH2, gfortran, ATLAS on Ubuntu 11.04

Gregory Magoon gmagoon at MIT.EDU
Sat Jun 4 17:37:55 BST 2011

Thanks Andy,
Unfortunately, when I tried approach #1, it gave the same run-time failure
pattern in the tests and it was actually slower (at least for the big_lattice
results I have been using as benchmark). I have gone back to using the regular
blas and lapack ubuntu packages, which seems to work without error, though it
seems to be a factor of 2+ slower.

I've placed my installation notes for the failed attempt with 8-byte integer
atlas below in case you can spot that I'm doing anything wrong.
Greg

#get dependencies

sudo apt-get install mpich2
sudo apt-get install curl
sudo apt-get install gfortran
sudo apt-get install zlib1g-dev
sudo apt-get install libcr-dev

#disable CPU throttling (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=611084)
sudo /usr/bin/cpufreq-selector -g performance

#install LAPACK (cf section 8 of ATLAS install guide:
http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/atlas_install/atlas_install.html#SECTION00090000000000000000
)
(in lapack directory)
cp /INSTALL/make.gfortran.inc make.inc
#edit make.inc to have the following:
FORTRAN  = gfortran
OPTS     = -O -fPIC -m64
DRVOPTS  = $(OPTS)
NOOPT    = -O0 -fPIC -m64
LOADER   = gfortran
LOADOPTS = $(OPTS)
TIMER    = INT_ETIME

make lib

#from atlas build directory:
../configure -b 64 -A 0 -D c -DWALL -Fa alg -fPIC -Si archdef 0
--incdir=/usr/include/ATLAS3.8.4 --libdir=/usr/lib64/ATLAS3.8.4
--with-netlib-lapack=/home/user/lapack-3.3.1/lapack_LINUX.a
make
cd (build)/lib; make shared; make ptshared
make check; make ptcheck
make time
sudo make install
#manually copy dynamic libraries
sudo cp lib/*.so /usr/lib64/ATLAS3.8.4/
sudo chmod 0644 /usr/lib64/ATLAS3.8.4/*.so

(remove existing lapack, blas library packages not needed: sudo apt-get
remove)

#point to the atlas libraries
cd /usr/lib64
sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/ATLAS3.8.4/liblapack.a liblapack.a
sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/ATLAS3.8.4/liblapack.so liblapack.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/ATLAS3.8.4/libcblas.a libcblas.a
sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/ATLAS3.8.4/libcblas.so libcblas.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/ATLAS3.8.4/libf77blas.a libf77blas.a
sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/ATLAS3.8.4/libf77blas.so libf77blas.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/ATLAS3.8.4/libatlas.a libatlas.a
sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/ATLAS3.8.4/libatlas.so libatlas.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/ATLAS3.8.4/libptcblas.a libptcblas.a
sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/ATLAS3.8.4/libptcblas.so libptcblas.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/ATLAS3.8.4/libptf77blas.a libptf77blas.a
sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/ATLAS3.8.4/libptf77blas.so libptf77blas.so

#compile Global arrays **with LAPACK and 8-sized BLAS libraries**
./configure TARGET=LINUX64 FC=gfortran --with-mpi='-I/usr/include/mpich2
-L/usr/lib64 -lmpichf90 -lmpich -lpthread -lmpl' --with-blas8='-L/usr/lib64
-lf77blas -lcblas -latlas' --with-lapack='-L/usr/lib64 -llapack'
make
make check
mpirun ./global/testing/test.x

#(as root)
sudo make install
#will be installed in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib
copy config.log to /usr/local/config.log

#compile molpro
./configure -batch -gcc -gfortran -mpp -mppbase /usr/local -instroot
/usr/local/molpro2010.1
make

#tuning, testing
make patch #enter username, password to download token
make tuning
nohup make MOLPRO_OPTIONS=-n8 test > test052511e.txt &
#***original failure pattern, very slow; timing for big_lattice: 436/455

Quoting Andy May <MayAJ1 at cardiff.ac.uk>:

> [...]
>>>
>>> ./configure -batch -gcc -gfortran -mpp -auto-ga-tcgmsg-mpich2 -instroot
>>> /usr/local/molpro2010.1 -noblas -nolapack
>>>
>>> So, it seems our ATLAS, BLAS and/or LAPACK libraries were causing the
>>> issue.
>>> However, it is still not clear why. I had just installed these
>>> libraries as
>>> Ubuntu packages:
>>> sudo apt-get install libatlas-base-dev
>>> sudo apt-get install liblapack-dev
>>> Perhaps there is some critical step I omitted or these are not the
>>> correct
>>> packages?
>>>
>>> Thanks again,
>>> Greg
>>>
>>> user at kamet:~/Molpro$ ./configure -batch -gcc -gfortran -mpp
>>> -auto-ga-tcgmsg-mpich2 -instroot /usr/local/molpro2010.1 -noblas
>>> -nolapack
>>>
>>> machine type recognized as x86_64 (Generic 64-bit)
>>> kernel recognized as Linux
>>>
>>> user request compiler gfortran
>>> GNU Fortran Compiler, Version 4.5.2
>>> FC=/usr/bin/gfortran
>>>
>>> user request compiler gcc
>>> GNU Compiler Collection, Version 4.5.2
>>> CC=/usr/bin/gcc
>>>
>>> starting auto-build of prerequisites
>>>
>>> building MPICH2 version 1.3.3rc1, each step could take a few minutes
>>>
>>> ./configure --prefix=/home/user/Molpro/src/mpich2-install
>>> --with-device=ch3:nemesis --with-pm=hydra --enable-f77
>>> F77=/usr/bin/gfortran
>>> --enable-fc FC=/usr/bin/gfortran --enable-cc CC=/usr/bin/gcc --enable-cxx
>>> CXX=/usr/bin/g++
>>> make
>>> make install
>>> MPICH2 built, if you want to test the MPICH2 build, please run:
>>>
>>> cd /home/user/Molpro/src/mpich2-1.3.3rc1; make testing
>>>
>>> building Global Arrays version 5-0-2, each step could take a few minutes
>>>
>>> ./configure --prefix=/home/user/Molpro/src/ga-install --with-scalapack=no
>>> --enable-f77 F77=/usr/bin/gfortran CC=/usr/bin/gcc CXX=/usr/bin/g++
>>> --with-tcgmsg --with-mpi='/home/user/Molpro/src/mpich2-install/lib
>>> -lmpich
>>> -lopa -lmpl -lrt -I/home/user/Molpro/src/mpich2-install/include'
>>> make
>>> make install
>>> Global Arrays built, if you want to test the Global Arrays build,
>>> please run:
>>>
>>> cd /home/user/Molpro/src/ga-5-0-2; make checkprogs; make check
>>> MPIEXEC="/home/user/Molpro/src/mpich2-install/bin/mpiexec -np 4"
>>>
>>> ./configure -batch "-gcc" "-gfortran" "-mpp" "-instroot"
>>> "/usr/local/molpro2010.1" "-noblas" "-nolapack" -mppbase
>>> /home/user/Molpro/src/ga-5-0-2
>>>
>>> machine type recognized as x86_64 (Generic 64-bit)
>>> kernel recognized as Linux
>>>
>>> user request compiler gfortran
>>> GNU Fortran Compiler, Version 4.5.2
>>> FC=/usr/bin/gfortran
>>>
>>> user request compiler gcc
>>> GNU Compiler Collection, Version 4.5.2
>>> CC=/usr/bin/gcc
>>>
>>> ga_GA_MP_LIBS = -lmpich -lopa -lmpl -lrt
>>> ga_GA_MP_LDFLAGS = -L/home/user/Molpro/src/mpich2-install/lib
>>> ga_GA_MP_CPPFLAGS = -I/home/user/Molpro/src/mpich2-install/include
>>> ga_TARGET = LINUX64
>>> ga_MSG_COMMS = TCGMSGMPI
>>> ga_prefix = /home/user/Molpro/src/ga-install
>>> ga_ARMCI_NETWORK_LDFLAGS =
>>> ga_ARMCI_NETWORK_LIBS =