[molpro-user] quinone partial optimization

Kirk Peterson kipeters at wsu.edu
Mon Mar 7 19:48:22 GMT 2011

Dear George,

it looks to me that your z-matrix variables are not sufficiently constrained to keep C2 symmetry, i.e., after the calculation of the gradient, the first downhill step wants to take it away from C2 symmetry, which causes the crash.  Shouldn't some of your bond distances and angles be equivalent by symmetry?  If so, each of these should be represented by just one variable.  Perhaps there is more going on than this, but certainly this is partly to blame.

-Kirk