[molpro-user] How to define occ, closed and core n1, n2, n3, n4, n5, n6, n7, n8?

Grant Hill jghill at wsu.edu
Tue May 31 10:00:32 BST 2011

Hi,

Well, without wanting to sound too rude, learning a little group theory is probably a good thing at this point. The values you require to define occ, closed, etc cards will depend on your molecule and its point group. Running a few small test calculations can help illustrate this, for example:

-----------

***,transplatin
memory,40,m

basis={
default,vdz,pt=vdz-pp
}

geomtyp=xyz
geom={
  11

Pt    0.0000000000    0.0000000000    0.0000000000
Cl    0.1452381549    0.0000000000    2.3420937397
N     2.0547889056    0.0000000000   -0.0920752634
Cl   -0.1452381549    0.0000000000   -2.3420937397
N    -2.0547889056    0.0000000000    0.0920752634
H     2.4403034093    0.0000000000    0.858871999
H     2.4053137827   -0.8249612003   -0.5873520537
H     2.4053137827    0.8249612003   -0.5873520537
H    -2.4053137827    0.8249612003    0.5873520537
H    -2.4403034093    0.0000000000   -0.858871999
H    -2.4053137827   -0.8249612003    0.5873520537
}

int

-----------

This will simply evaluate the integrals and then stop. In the output you will see that C2h symmetry has been assigned and a little further down in the output is the following:

 NUCLEAR CHARGE:                   72
 NUMBER OF PRIMITIVE AOS:         255
 NUMBER OF SYMMETRY AOS:          242
 NUMBER OF CONTRACTIONS:          132   (  45Ag  +  22Au  +  44Bu  +  21Bg  )
 NUMBER OF CORE ORBITALS:          16   (   6Ag  +   2Au  +   7Bu  +   1Bg  )
 NUMBER OF VALENCE ORBITALS:       28   (  12Ag  +   3Au  +   8Bu  +   5Bg  )

where the labels Ag, Au, Bu and Bg are the irreps of the C2h group. You can now see that if you used a core,6,2,7,1 card, you would have 6 Ag, 2 Au, 7 Bu and 1 Bg orbitals in the core (which is also the default in this case). In terms of reading around this, I would recommend Molecular Symmetry by Willock as a good starting point, then the books by Herzberg are very useful, especially for small molecules.

I hope this is enough to get you started, and that it provides a little insight into why multi-reference methods are not a black-box.

Grant