[molpro-user] parallel molpro and PBSPro on more than 1 node

Manhui Wang wangm9 at cardiff.ac.uk
Mon Sep 12 13:06:34 BST 2011

Dear Ulrike,

There is some problem when running molpro with openmpi/infiniband on
multinodes, and the internal reason is still unknown (you may have  seen
there are a number of options when building and running OpenMPI, it
might help by adjusting these options). However, with mvapich2 or
intelmpi over infiniband, molpro runs well. I regularly run molpro jobs
with mvapich2/Infiniband  via PBSPro (pbs_version = PBSPro_10.0.0.82981)
on multinodes, and it always works fine. Instead of using the extra MPI
parallel job launcher Mpiexec, I simply submit the Molpro job using a
rather simple job script like:
#PBS -l select=4:ncpus=8:mpiprocs=8
#PBS -l place=scatter
#PBS -l walltime=02:00:00
#PBS -N Molprojob

cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR

NPROCS=`wc -l $PBS_NODEFILE | awk '{ print $1 }'`

echo "NPROCS=$NPROCS"

echo "Running Molpro job:"

./bin/molpro -n $NPROCS testjobs/h2o_vdz.test

echo "All Done."

Manhui