[molpro-user] How to do the double d-shell casscf calculation ??

Wanyi Jiang wanyi.jiang at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 09:19:21 GMT 2012

Xiaobin,

Like you said, a double d-shell description is required in the active
space for late 3d transition metals.  Late 3d transition metals do not
have a sufficient number of anti-bonding orbitals for a well balanced
active space if only 3d orbitals are included. Diffuse functions are
an additional set of basis set functions used to improve the
description of the tails of orbitals far away from nuclei.  The
insufficiency of active space is not necessarily ameliorated by adding
diffuse basis set functions.

Your example clearly states the way to include 4d orbitals in the
active space. You may refer to the Molpro manual for technical
details.

Wanyi