[molpro-user] relaxed Pople cluster corrections

harding harding at anl.gov
Fri Dec 14 16:19:32 GMT 2012

  I believe the relaxed Pople cluster corrections coming out of Molpro
are incorrect.

  If I do the following calculation using Molpro 2010.1 :

memory,20,m
geometry={
  C }

basis=vtz

{multi
occ,2,1,1,0,1,0,0,0
closed,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
wf,6,4,2}

{ci}

I get the following results:

  Coefficient of reference function:   C(0) = 0.98244004 (fixed)
0.98247737 (relaxed)
  Reference energy                     -37.70568461
  Correlation energy                    -0.07384460
  !MRCI STATE 1.4 Energy               -37.779529217128

  Cluster corrected energies           -37.78219258 (Davidson, fixed
reference)
  Cluster corrected energies           -37.78218676 (Davidson, relaxed
reference)

  Cluster corrected energies           -37.78086047 (Pople, fixed reference)
  Cluster corrected energies           -37.77952922 (Pople, relaxed
reference)

  Note that the relaxed Pople cluster corrected energy is identical to
the uncorrected CI energy.

  I can reproduce the fixed and relaxed Davidson results using the
equations in section 20.7 of the Molpro manual. As an aside I note that
there appears to be a numbering inconsistency in the manual as the
equation numbers in Table 9 do not correspond to those in the text.

I can reproduce the fixed Pople correction using equation 65 from Pople,
Seeger and Krishnan IJQC, s11, 149 (1977) with n=4. If I use the same
equation and just replace the fixed C0 with the relaxed C0 listed above
I get a relaxed Pople cluster corrected energy of,

-37.78085755

not the value shown above.

Am I doing something wrong here or is Molpro in error ?

Larry Harding