[molpro-user] Error: SPIN not possible

"Piotr J. Bardziński" bardzinski at poczta.fm
Wed Feb 1 14:37:18 GMT 2012

Dear Grant, Ed and Ornellas,

Thank you for your quick response. The point is that my molecule is like
ammonium, where all electrons are paired, but
the overall molecule has a positive charge. Namely, in the case of
ammonium, one extra proton "takes" one electron from the nitrogen` 2s
orbital, yielding the configuration of nitrogen atom in a molecule to be
[He]2s1 2p3, but the total number of electrons in a molecule remains the
same. In my case, I got two similar interacting molecules,  in which
ammonium hydrogen atoms were substituted with aliphatic chains, so it
seems that one of the carbons bound to nitrogen must lack an electron
and accept one from nitrogen. So, I calculated that each molecule must
have 178 electrons and the system is closed shell. But the charge of
molecule is +1... So today, I ran the input with following preamble:

***,  input
memory,175,m
gdirect
basis=cc-pVDZ
wf,356,1,0
geomtyp=xyz
nosym,noorient
geometry={
136
(...)
df-hf,df_basis=vtz
df-mp2

...but I am uncertain, if it is enough to declare the closed shell sytem
with +1 charge per each of two molecules. Am I did it in a proper way?

Best regards,
Piotr B.